Chicago TPO Roofing Services
Licensed and experienced.
Proudly installed and serviced by Reliable Roofing, TPO (thermoplastic polyolefin) roofing is a high quality material that is built to last. It is a lightweight, green material that is suitable for a wide variety of buildings and climates. This is why TPO is a market leader in new, commercial roof installations.
What is TPO Roofing?
TPO is a modern roof system in the single-ply membrane category. It comes in 10’ x 100’ rolls and can be installed in a variety of ways. Manufacturers offer TPO in a variety of thicknesses including 45-mil, 60-mil and 80-mil. The membrane itself is a blend of polypropylene (PP) and ethylene-propylene rubber (EPR) polymers. There are also a number of proprietary ingredients included in this mixture to provide extra durability and resistance against harsh weather conditions. These include pigments, UV absorbers, flame-retardants, and more. Reinforced TPO consists of two TPO membranes fused together with a polyester fabric “scrim” in between the plies. TPO is a durable, high-value roof system suitable for a very large percentage of commercial, industrial and mutli-family roofs.
TPO comes in white, grays and tans. It is highly reflective and energy efficient. Customers notice an immediate benefit during summer months.
Pros of TPO:
- Energy efficient, “Cool Roof” , reflective material
- Attractive, clean appearance
- Light weight, great for re-cover
- Installs quickly over a variety of substrates
- Tear-resistant and puncture resistant
- Resistant to animal fat grease, vegetable oils, and some hydrocarbon oils
- Highly Waterproof and virtually immune to ponding water in the non-seam areas
- Leaks are easy to find and repair compared to Built Up, ballasted, and some modified bitumen systems
- Seams are heat welded into monolithic membrane
Cons of TPO:
- It needs to be installed according to spec or there is a risk of wind uplift
Due to their structure, TPO roofing material is considered stronger than most due to its ability to reflect heat from the sun and being welded together using hot air and a liquid adhesive or self-adhering adhesive.
TPO roofing systems can be installed in any of the following ways:
- Fully adhered: The membrane is glued directly to polyiso insulation board or cover board using special TPO bonding adhesive. Seams are heat welded.
- Mechanically attached (RhinoBond®): The screws and chemically reactive plates are installed at specific intervals in the seams and in the field. The membrane is then bonded to the chemically reactive plates. This is more ideal for retrofit installation rather than metal applications.
- Mechanically attached in the seams: The TPO membrane is screwed to the deck in the seams only and adjacent sheets are lapped and welded which covers the fasteners.
If you would like more information about whether a TPO roof is right for your flat or low-slope roof, Reliable Roofing can help. Call us today.
About Reliable Roofing
Reliable Roofing has years of experience when it comes to servicing roofs in the Chicagoland area. Our professional installers are trained to install specific roof systems to manufacturer specifications.
We provide a number of commercial roofing services, including roof repair, inspection, maintenance, replacement, and free estimates.
For more information on TPO roof systems in Chicago or a free estimate on roof replacement or repairs for your building, call Reliable Roofing at (815) 981-9801, submit a contact form.